Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I finally finished my Birdhouses

I had a lot of left over wood from building my pallet chairs so I used them to make a couple of birdhouses.  Altogether, so far I have built six birdhouses.  Four of them are in use now and three of those have birds living in them.  This house is based on the dimensions for a blue bird house that I got from the National Audobon Society website.  The basics are this:

  • Interior dimensions should be about 5 inches square.
  • The hole should be 1 1/2 inches or less to prevent larger birds from stealing the nest site.
  • The hole should be 5-8 inches off the floor of the house
Other than that I have read that you shouldn't paint the house.  However, I have also seen dozens of advertisements for decoratively painted houses.  Right now I have a white house hanging in my back yard as an experiment to see if any birds will nest there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments, pictures or ideas. Everything is welcome and any form of pallet projects or ideas can be showcased.